bauhaus museum weimar

The bauhaus museum weimar offers the perspective to create a lively cultural district spanning the period of the late 19th century, the ambivalent history of modernism, down to the present day.


The congress centre of the green, cultural and sports axis that was carried out during the Weimar Republic, was replaced by a new centre in 1999.


The Weimarhallenpark, at the edge of which the bauhaus museum weimar is being built, is part of the inner-city »cultural project« that was developed in the 1920s and consists of a green space, outdoor swimming pool, stadium and an adjacent congress centre.


The Schwanseebad is part of the green, cultural and sports axis carried out in the 1920s. The »cultural project« of the Weimar Republic was conceived by August Lehrmann.


The Festplatz (fairground) is part of the green, cultural and sports axis carried out in the 1920s. Today the square is mainly used as a car park.


Ursprünglich als Mädchenschule geplant, wurde das 1927 bis 1936 über zwei Bauphasen errichtete Gebäude ab dem 8. Januar 1931 als höhere Schule, ab 1936 als Oberrealgymnasium genutzt. Während des Zweiten Weltkrieges diente es als Lazarett, ab Oktober 1945 wurde der Schulbetrieb wieder aufgenommen.

1960 wurde die Schule eine Erweiterte Oberschule (EOS) im Bildungssystem der DDR. Nach der Deutschen Wiedervereinigung 1990 wurde die mathematisch/naturwissenschaftliche Ausrichtung des ehemaligen Oberrealgymnasiums wieder aufgenommen, ein Jahr später im Dezember 1991 erhielt die Schule den Namen Staatliches Gymnasium Friedrich Schiller.


The former »Gauforum« (originally Karl-August-Platz, then »Platz Adolf Hitlers«, during the GDR-period »Karl-Marx-Platz«, today Weimarplatz) is considered a unique model project of Nazi urban development.

Sports grounds

The sports grounds are part of the green, cultural and sports axis carried out in the 1920s.

NS administrative buildings of the former »Gauforum«

In addition to the exhibition on the history of National Socialism in Weimar which has been on view at the present state administration since 1999, there will be a permanent exhibition on NS forced labour, which the Buchenwald Concentration Camp Memorial wants to install on the first floor of the south wing.

Former »Halle der Volksgemeinschaft«

The former »Halle der Volksgemeinschaft« (Hall of the people’s community) and later »Mehrzweckhalle« (multipurpose hall) is today the ATRIUM shopping centre.

Neues Museum Weimar

During the 1920s, the Neues Museum Weimar (built from 1863 to 1869) presented several ground-breaking exhibitions of modernism. After suffering damage during World War II and falling into disrepair under the East German regime, the museum underwent extensive renovation and was reopened in 1999. It has since become one’s of Weimar’s preeminent venues for temporary exhibitions. On the occasion of the Bauhaus anniversary in 2019, the Klassik Stiftung will present a new permanent exhibition at the Neues Museum on the pioneers of the Bauhaus from the Weimar School of Painting to Henry van de Velde.

Langer Jakob

The development of the former »Halle der Volksgemeinschaft« from the end of the 1960s to the mid-1970s into a multipurpose hall and the construction of the student dorms »Langer Jakob« which was realised between 1970 and 1972, are an expression of the search for a meaningful treatment of the adjacent NS architecture during the GDR period.